Thursday, May 18, 2006

Banned Words

Upon Maggie's entry to the hospital, her vitals were surprisingly bad. She was diagnosed with HELLP syndrome, which is an acronym for Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, and Low Platelets. They gave her some drugs, and she got very much better for a couple of days. However, the doctors remained very worried about her and said that this was probably just the "Honeymoon Period." I maintained hope that they were wrong, but it turned out it was exactly right. On Friday, her vitals crashed and they had to do the emergency C-section.

Upon Woody's entry to the NICU, they warned me that preemies tend to have a Honeymoon Period too, where they seem like they're doing fine, but after a few days they get more twitchy. I was met this morning with a report that his honeymoon was over, as he has gotten more and more sensitive to disturbances, requiring a bit more oxygen every time he has to be disturbed for a test or a diaper change or anything. Naturally, that got me worried again, but it was exactly to be expected.

Nonetheless, I hate the term honeymoon period now. If I never hear anything referred to as that again it will be too soon. But all things considered, Woody is still doing "extremely well", according to the doctors. He's maintaining good blood C02 levels, he's kept his glucose levels stable without intervention for a couple of days now, and his PICC line (the IV line that they installed yesterday) moved itself overnight into the right position, so they aren't going to have to do that to him again for a while.



Check out those feet.

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I new I was doing something right in skipping the honeymoon and going stright to jail...uhm, i mean law school! Ha...sorry 'leaver. No worries by mean Nathan, I will gladlyban those words.

Hmm, I wish you could find some other adjective / noun than Micropremie - perhaps descriptively accurate, but a lil normatively pejorative, no? I'll leave the call to you, just I wince ever'time I read it...

No critiques w/o alternatives, right Ms. Forsey:
Macrostrong
Children like Woodrow
Gestationally challenged

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking for latest update and continuing to pray for Woody and family. Please let June know am thinking about her as well. Let us know if there is anything we can do to be of help.

Renee Ybarra
GWU

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Nathan, I wish I could be there to just...be there. So glad
Maggie is out of the hospital. I am SO happy to be a GREAT aunt. I am much too young (of course) but I am thrilled anyway. We are thinking of you, Maggie and Woody constantly. love you... your youngest Aunt....Susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home