Monday, May 29, 2006

Looking ahead

Woody keeps doing well in every area but the lungs. Although he's not any worse, he doesn't seem to have much flexibility in lowering his pressures or getting down the oxygen needs yet. I am beginning to think that he just needs to be able to get some real food in him (his 'trophic feeds'-- i.e., the gut-primers, are scheduled to increase in the next few days) and be able to grow and get strong to be able to show any progress on that front.

His glucose continues to show improvement, so it looks like he can get more sugar in his nutrient mix; he isn't having much trouble maintaining acceptable levels of most of the things they track in his blood, and he continues to, uh, excrete.

One minor problem we have noted today for the first time is that Woody's working on a couple of little hernias. I take my cues for what to worry about from the demeanor of the doctors and nurses while on rounds, and it seems pretty clear that this is not a Big Deal, and therefore I am not going to stress about it. He'll need to get a quick surgery sometime around (or even after) he goes home and then it will be done.

After our awesome time holding him yesterday, I am looking forward to getting to hold him myself, and making sure he gets cuddled properly. I just know that will help him get better.

6 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After seeing the wonderful pictures of Maggie holding little Woody, I am hoping that I see some great pictures of you holding him soon!

Our thoughts are with you.

Jen

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only 5 days ago, we were all terribly worried about PIE, and Woody was still on that awful oscillating ventilator. Today the PIE is pretty much gone, and he's on a regular vent and stable enough for kangaroo care. He's making great progress, but he's on his own time table. I believe in this kid! And, yes, you're right to see that he needs what every little baby needs: real food and proper cuddling. He'll be bigger and stronger soon, just you wait and see.

Love,
Grammie

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I had hernias when I was a babe. Definitely not a Big Deal. Glad to hear the new continues to be good.

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're back from a shortened trip to see aunts/uncle in Austin and Houston. We kept up with W.X.'s progress and the pictures of him on Maggie were priceless. We both got some form of food poisoning on this trip and were so happy that we came home last night. Did nothing worthwhile all Memorial Day except evacuate the poisons... We love you all!

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marta just sent me the link to this priceless site and I am happy to hear about Woody's progress. I have several work colleagues who had super preemies and they are all doing well and somehow have the ability to convey their thankfulness for living. It's like they know how precious their life is and how much every one cares. I'm sending you all my love.
Sara

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate Jaycox passed this on to me from Kelly McLain. Todd and I are thinking of you, Maggie, and especially Woody. It is amazing the strength of someone so small. With love and hope. Heather (formerly Heather Olson)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home