Thursday, November 16, 2006

My boring baby

Actual emails I’ve received in the last week.

When are we going to get another Woody update and pictures...?

your blog is (thankfully) deathly boring. Quit writing about your normal baby.


The public grows restless. Geez, people, I’m doing the best I can between work and taking care of the kid. Besides, lest none of you forget, I write for Woodyfans second; the main reason I still keep doing updates (and I have been trying hard to do a minimum of one or two a week) is to keep a running log of his progress for our own edification in years to come. Journals in general are so cool for reminding you of what one was thinking about when such-and-such thing happened. I will refrain from following that thought up with any “I told you so” comments about various political subjects, backed up with prescient blog postings from 2001 and 2. But know that I could.

Ok, first things first. Woody’s oxygen study finally came back, and he still has to be on the tube for at least another month. So that sucks. Especially because of what I regard as serious methodology problems with the study. But on the other hand, his followup reflux study has shown that he no longer has the big problems with the gastric reflux, so he’s been taken off the thickened feedings. This is both good and bad. It’s good because now we don’t have to thicken every bottle with rice cereal to make sure he doesn’t reflux, aspirate, and get pneumonia. It’s bad because we had just figured out how to get him to take feedings consistently with the thickened bottles, and now we’re in the process of experimenting with the right nipples and amounts to make it work properly.

Figuring out which flow rate of nipple goes with a bottle of formula must qualify as “deathly boring”. I recognize this.

Maggie is now back at work basically full time. We’re experimenting with a nanny at this point, since we certainly can’t use any real day care options because of his delicate lungs. The woman we have right now (I’ll call her Nanny K) is very nice and we like her a lot right now. If we can afford her. Do you have any idea how expensive a nanny is? It makes us consider whether it’s really even worth Maggie’s work anymore. If you take her salary and subtract the nanny payments, she’s working for some ridiculously low amounts of money. I know some of her work people read this, so I don’t want to start any rumors, but on the other hand this is a subject that most working parents have had to confront.

Well, back to the boring baby. I have many more pictures to upload, but it will probably be this weekend. If you haven’t seen them yet, check out the series of Woody smiling pictures on the flickr “HOMETIME!” set linked to the right.

3 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear more "no news" on the kid - but Maggie/Nanny news is just as appreciated... Hope you all are getting sleep, even occasionally... We love you!

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

I personally won't be happy until I see video of Woody singing the entire score to the HMS Pinafore.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Nathaniel Hobbs said...

He's hardly ever sick at sea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home